Make your valentine’s day dreamy with chocolate lava cake. It will melt on your plate as well as in your mouth. A rich, fudge and delicious dessert recipe can be made at home easily.
Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. This day I want to bake something special. Therefore, I thought, celebrate this day with chocolate.
I made sweet and fudge lava cake. My chocolate lava cake is the best dessert to serve your loved one on Valentine’s Day.
What is lava cake?
Simply, it is a chocolate cake whose centre is soft, molten, and yummy, and the outer layer of this cake is set.
While baking, keep in mind that the centre of the cake should remain soft, and the outer layer should be crispy and light firm.
Further, here’s some proof of how easy to bake chocolate lava cake:
- Straightforward ingredients – You need no special ingredients for a cake.
- No unique tools – combine the batter with your hand and add directly into the ramekins using no special tools.
- Easy to bake – Adjust the timer of the oven. When done, remove and serve!
- No need for cooling or frosting – you can serve immediately as soon as you remove them from the oven.
Ingredients for chocolate Lava cake
Butter – Use only unsalted butter for chocolate lava cake.
Sugar – I used granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar.
Cornstarch – I used two tbsp cornstarch for this recipe.
Eggs – This recipe calls for two whole eggs.
Egg yolks – Two egg yolks used in the recipe. Save the egg white for breakfast the next morning.
Vanilla extract – Use only pure vanilla extract
Bittersweet chocolate – bittersweet chocolate is best for this recipe.
How to make chocolate lava cake?
Finally, I am sharing step by step instruction on how to make easy chocolate lava cake.
Firstly, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Set the oven rack to the upper-middle position. Coat the ramekins/muffin tins with butter so that you can easily remove the cakes from the ramekins.
- Next, add the layer of granulated sugar over the butter to caramelize the outer side of the cake.
Next, add the cornstarch and sugar to a big bowl. Whisk it well.
Add about an inch of water to the saucepan and simmer it. Boil it half. After that, place a heatproof bowl over the top. Add butter and chopped chocolate to the bowl. Heat it until butter and chocolate are melted.
Next, add the chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture. Whisk it until combined.
- After that, add the vanilla extract, egg yolks, and whole eggs. Whisk them well until combined.
Now, pour the batter between prepared ramekins. Place them on the rimmed baking sheet.
Finally, place these rimmed baking sheets in the oven. Bake them for thirteen to sixteen minutes until the centre is soft and the top is set and looks shiny.
After that, remove it from the oven. Let cool it for two minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the ramekins.
- Invert on the serving plate and serve immediately.
What to serve with chocolate lava cake:
Powder sugar – Dust with powder sugar over the chocolate lava cake. It makes the cake pretty and sweet.
Whipped cream – You can add whipped cream over the cake.
Coconut – Try coconut for topping
Caramel – You can sprinkle the chocolate lava cake with caramel sauce.
Chocolate sauce – Make it chocolatier by adding chocolate sauce over the cake.
Sea salt – You will love the combo of salty and sweet.
Ice cream – Serve the chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream, raspberry ice cream, pistachios ice cream, or strawberry ice cream
Nuts – Top with nuts if desired
Berries – Top with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or a combination of all.
Muffin tins: You can use muffin tins if you don’t have ramekins. You can divide the batter between the six muffin tins. The baking time will be slightly shorter. To lift the lava cake, you can use a fork.
Chocolate: You can use semi-sweet chocolate if you want a sweeter dessert. However, do not add chocolate chips for chopped chocolate because it will emulsify them.
Add liqueur – You can add one tsp of liquor instead of vanilla extract. It will give an extra punch of flavor.
Serving suggestions – Top lava cake with fresh fruit, whipped cream, or ice cream if desired.
Make-ahead option – The delicious lava cakes can be prepared ahead. The batters add into the ramekins, then wrapped with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to twenty-four hours. Remove the plastic wrap and bake as instructed.
Freezing option – Prepare as instructed in the make-ahead option above. Cover with plastic cover and then cover with foil. Freeze it for one month in the freezer. When you want to eat, this cake does not need to thaw. Bake it instantly. Add one or two minutes to the baking time.
Can I Freeze the lava cake:
You can freeze the lava cake, but I don’t recommend you to freeze the lava cake.
- For freezing the cake:
- Let cool the cake.
- Remove from the ramekins or muffin tins.
- Wrap in the plastic cover and place in the air-tight container or zip-lock bag.
- Place in the freezer for one month.
More delicious quick cookies & truffles recipes?
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Two eggs – whole
- Two egg – Yolks
- Half cup unsalted butter
- 6-ounces bittersweet chocolate – finely chopped
- One tbsp cornstarch
- Half cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Adjust the oven rack to the upper-middle position.
- Prepare the ramekins. Grease the four ramekins with butter. Add granulated sugar over the butter.
- Add cornstarch and sugar to the bowl and whisk it well.
- Add about an inch of water to the saucepan and simmer it. Boil it half. After that, place a heatproof bowl over the top. Add butter and chopped chocolate to the bowl. Heat it until butter and chocolate are melted.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture. Whisk it well.
- Next, add the vanilla extract, egg yolks, and eggs. Whisk them again to combine thoroughly.
- After that, pour the batter into the prepared ramekins. Place on the rimmed baking sheet.
- Place this rimmed baking sheet in the oven and bake them for 13 to 16 minutes until the top is set.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool it for two minutes. Run a knife around the edges of ramekins.
- Invert onto the serving plate carefully.
- Serve immediately.
We want to know your thoughts
Share your comments:
If you have any questions about our recipe, you can ask below.
Share your photos:
Did you make this dish? If yes, don’t forget to show us a pic of what you made!
Rate this recipe:
If you love to make this recipe, rate this recipe
If you love this dish, share a photo on Pinterest.
Pin our pin:
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest.